Students majoring in Electronic Media are REQUIRED to complete a three-hour internship. For each hour of credit, you must work 50 hours. Therefore, most students will take a three-hour internship and work 150 hours.
To gain internship credit you must have:
- Junior standing (60+ hours of completed coursework)
- A minimum GPA of 2.5 in the major
- Twelve hours of major coursework completed prior to the semester of the internship
- E-Media majors/minors also must have successfully completed Digital Media Production I (COMMDM:1655) prior to the semester of the internship.
Finding an Internship
Places to search:
- Contact Career Services at 102 Gilchrist. Use CareerLink to look at and apply for opportunities.
- Approach businesses that you are interested in about the possibility of an internship, many are open to the idea.
- Join the Facebook Group:/https://www.facebook.com/groups/153765914715149/
- Pay attention to your email. The Director of Internships sends regular emails with internship opportunities.
Applying for Internship Credit
- Complete a departmental application form, available in the main office, Lang 326. If you want an electronic version, email the departmental office manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Sign up for the correct number of hours (1-6). EMedia or PR Majors are required to complete at least thee credits. Political Comm Majors are required to have four credit hours.
- Return the completed form to the main office or email to email@example.com.
- Ask your supervisor send a job description directly to the main office. This description can be mailed, faxed to (319) 273-7356, or sent via email from the supervisor’s account to firstname.lastname@example.org. This description cannot come from the student.
- Your completed file is reviewed by the internship coordinator, possibly in consultation with the department head and/or faculty members. If you are approved, the main office will enroll you in the Internship/Cooperative course. There is nothing further to do until your internship, and the semester, begins.
- A notice of approval/enrollment will be emailed to you at the address you provided on the application. The process can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks, so plan ahead! The Internship Director will contact you when you have been enrolled for further instructions. Check your email regularly.